Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Starry Starry Night

I'm lying here in my tent, trying to find the best position to write in my journal.  It turns out that lying on your side, journal to your left seems to be the best.  I had a funny, yet sobering realization tonight while sitting around the camp fire.  I was gazing up at an almost unfamiliar night sky, full of flickering specks of light.  You become accustomed to seeing your world in such a particular way that as soon as your surroundings change, no matter the circumstance, your world can immediately seem flipped upside down.  In my case, my world literal seems upside down.  As I lost myself in the starry night, as I often do on beautiful nights such as this, I became transfixed on Orion's belt.  I got a little excited, as this was the only constellation I recognized in this foreign place, only it looked a little different.  It was upside down.  Even though I have fully embraced the fact that I am almost 10,000 miles from home, Orion hammered that fact home tonight.  I'm not home sick, but it does make me miss the ones I love and care about, knowing that they (though at a different time) are gazing at those same stars, only from a completely different perspective.

Oh... yeah... and I caught a five pound brown today.  Damn you Orion for making me so damn sentimental.

More pictures and stories to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment